Iris Global is a Christian NGO committed to expressing a living and tangible response to those commandments that Jesus called greatest: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength,” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” It is our conviction that the Spirit of God has asked us to make this love concrete in the world, incarnate in our thoughts, our bodies, our lives and our every action. Iris Global exists to participate in bringing the Kingdom of God to earth in all its aspects, but most especially through our particular calling to serve the very poor: the destitute, the lost, the broken and the forgotten.
Stop for the One was birthed in Rolland and Heidi’s heart years ago. When God gave Heidi a vision of millions of faces in need of the love of God, she was undone. But the only way to stop for millions is one by one. To do this we must stop for God, the One who is the One and then one in front of us each day. If we each stopped for someone, millions would be reached by the practical love of God everyday. This movement of laid down lovers is growing. Our desire is to follow Jesus with everything we are. Because of this we share the simple gospel of love in the darkest places, with ‘…the least of these…’
Although we have been on this journey for years, Iris Global officially began the ‘Stop for the One’ program beginning of 2009. Our initial goal was to create a sponsorship program, paving a way for others to be a part of this vision. We hope to care for one million children who have been stuck in a cycle of poverty. Since then Stop for the One has grown into to a movement, connecting like-minded people around the world.
Stop for the One exists to glorify Jesus and express His love to the poor, broken, and forgotten. God has called us to stop for the one in front of us. We are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Daily we see the simple power of love transform lives. All of our programs work together to holistically serve the communities in which we are working. We invite you to join the movement to reach one million children today!
1. We understand that we can find God, and can experience intimacy, communication and companionship with Him in His Presence, if we share His love for righteousness.
2. We are totally dependent on Him for everything, and we need and expect miracles of all kinds to sustain us and confirm the Gospel in our ministry.
3. We look for revival among the broken, humble and lowly, and start at the bottom with ministry to the poor. God chooses the weak and despised things of the world to shame the proud, demonstrating His own strength and wisdom. Our direction is lower still.
4. We understand the value of suffering in the Christian life. Learning to love requires willingness to suffer for the sake of righteousness. Discipline and testing make saints out of us, and produce in us the holiness, without which we will not see God’s face and share His glory. With Paul we rejoice in our weaknesses, for when we are weak we are strong.
5. The joy of the Lord is not optional and far outweighs our suffering! In Jesus it becomes our motivation, reward and spiritual weapon. In His Presence is fullness of joy, and with Paul we testify that in all our troubles our joy knows no bounds (2 Cor. 7:4). It is our strength and energy, without which we die.
For more information about Iris Global & Stop for the one, please visit irisglobal.org.
Iris Global was founded as a dedicated Christian missions organization in 1980 by Rolland and Heidi Baker. At first based in the United States, it encompassed short-term evangelism trips to the Philippines, Taiwan, Indonesia, and Hong Kong, until in 1985 Rolland and Heidi moved to Indonesia. Eventually denied permanent missionary visas in Bali, Rolland and Heidi then moved to Hong Kong. There Iris’s activities were focused on the care and evangelism of residents of the poorest and most crowded slums. After four years Rolland and Heidi left the church they had planted to enroll in graduate theological studies at the University of London. While in England they planted another church, Believer’s Centre, and continued to work especially with homeless street-sleepers, along with university students, lawyers and businesspeople. It was a small but beautiful cross-section of the Body of Christ, and all worshiped together as close brothers and sisters in the Lord.
In 1995 Rolland and Heidi came to Mozambique, Africa, where they have concentrated their ministry ever since. Their U.S. administrative offices are in Redding, California, USA, but Iris has expanded to Iris Canada, Iris UK, etc., as charities in many countries. Iris missionaries are founding new bases on mission fields around the world, and one-third of the time Rolland and Heidi travel and minister at churches and conferences wherever the Holy Spirit leads them.